phpBB Forum
 
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:11 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
HH2 voice changes - All talk - Team talk 
Author Message
HH Donor
HH Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:44 pm
Posts: 3761
Location: Leicester, UK
STEAM_0:0:15279954
Post Re: HH2 voice changes - All talk - Team talk
The problem was people who didn't like alltalk left, leaving us with a majority of alltalk on voters and a fight on our hands to fill the server every evening.


Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:03 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
HH Donor
HH Donor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:08 am
Posts: 6095
STEAM_0:0:16743808
MCID: frog
Post Re: HH2 voice changes - All talk - Team talk
Tinkerer wrote:
But we had alltalk for years
We've had no alltalk for longer.

Tinkerer wrote:
"infiltration" never happened (where are you getting that from?)
I think you are confused. I was referring to what you suggested, which was that mumble should be used for team talk, and pointing out 2 of the most obvious issues.

1) Infiltration. There is nothing stopping someone from one team joining the opposite team's channel.

2) Autobalance. If someone is auto-balanced, then they have to tab out and switch team channels.

(There are other issues too, such as having to tab out once you've joined the server to join the correct team channel.)

Understand what I mean now? :)

Mumble can bring people together.


Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:16 pm
Profile E-mail
HH Donor
HH Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:44 pm
Posts: 3761
Location: Leicester, UK
STEAM_0:0:15279954
Post Re: HH2 voice changes - All talk - Team talk
You can set Mumble to reconnect to the same server and channel every time it's launched, just double click the icon before you start TF2. It's painless once you have it installed.


Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:20 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
HH Donor
HH Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:33 pm
Posts: 10091
Location: Finland
STEAM_0:1:14985898
MCID: Agentino
Post Re: HH2 voice changes - All talk - Team talk
I always did prefer to have it on as it just made playing a lot more social. :? It's not like the server has to be all serious business, but I do understand that some people (who play on it religiously, unlike me) would prefer to have less needless chit-chat between teams.

It's a tough thing to balance I guess.

_________________
Spandex wrote:
If you're Japanese, you just win.



HH Cup Season 1 Champion
HH Cup Season 2 Champion
HH Cup Season 3 Loser


Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:26 pm
Profile E-mail
HH Donor
HH Donor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:08 am
Posts: 6095
STEAM_0:0:16743808
MCID: frog
Post Re: HH2 voice changes - All talk - Team talk
Agent 47 wrote:
I always did prefer to have it on as it just made playing a lot more social. :? It's not like the server has to be all serious business, but I do understand that some people (who play on it religiously, unlike me) would prefer to have less needless chit-chat between teams.

It's a tough thing to balance I guess.
I don't see it as that tough a thing to balance. It just requires a solution that takes into consideration all the different things that everyone wants.

By using TF2 and mumble together it means that everyone, without exception, gets what they want with regards to voice comms. I really think it's the best all-round thing to do.

The people that want to enjoy a really good game of TF2 with great teamwork, which is what our servers were (are) renowned for in the 7+ years that they have been running, can get that uninterrupted.

The people that want to just chat and socialise, and aren't so bothered in team comms, can get that.

And the people that want both, can get that too.

I can't think of a fairer or more considerate or simpler solution. Can anyone else?

All it takes is a one time thing of downloading mumble, installing it, and then joining our server and making a bookmark. Which we've made as easy as possible. :)


Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:34 pm
Profile E-mail
HH Member
HH Member

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:18 pm
Posts: 34
STEAM_0:0:16879908
Post Re: HH2 voice changes - All talk - Team talk
frog wrote:
Tinkerer wrote:
But we had alltalk for years
We've had no alltalk for longer.

Tinkerer wrote:
"infiltration" never happened (where are you getting that from?)
I think you are confused. I was referring to what you suggested, which was that mumble should be used for team talk, and pointing out 2 of the most obvious issues.

1) Infiltration. There is nothing stopping someone from one team joining the opposite team's channel.

2) Autobalance. If someone is auto-balanced, then they have to tab out and switch team channels.

(There are other issues too, such as having to tab out once you've joined the server to join the correct team channel.)

Understand what I mean now? :)

Mumble can bring people together.


All of these things can happen with having the chats the different way around, too - people in Mumble can talk about the other team (not that this ever happens, that seems kind of negative), and if people on the server itself are autobalanced they're able to talk about what their ex-team had, too. They're both kind of non-issues because it's not something that ever seemed to exist and it's a small enough community that the people who would would get called out anyway.

Sam wrote:
The problem was people who didn't like alltalk left, leaving us with a majority of alltalk on voters and a fight on our hands to fill the server every evening.


I don't think the lowering server populations have anything to do with alltalk on or not, just general less interest in TF2. HH had full servers with alltalk on and off for years. Plus, if the majority of the people like something and have it voted on, what's the problem? There's a crits vote on the server too, which isn't necessarily compatible with serious play, either. And yet that sometimes doesn't turn crits off either because there's enough people who like crits and they can have an enjoyable time on the server right then and there. Voting accomodates the people actually playing, and if the balance shifts the next map will change it. Not sure what the problem with that is :?

EDIT: The main problem with having mumble for this sort of thing is that it doesn't accommodate shy people or people without mics, of which we have many - a lot of conversation is via the text chat, as well, reacting to what people say over the mic.


Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:42 pm
Profile E-mail
HH Donor
HH Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:44 pm
Posts: 3761
Location: Leicester, UK
STEAM_0:0:15279954
Post Re: HH2 voice changes - All talk - Team talk
If it's the other way around then there's no way to opt out of hearing the other team speak.

Mumble works as well for people without mics as it does for everyone else.


Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:45 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
HH Member
HH Member

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:18 pm
Posts: 34
STEAM_0:0:16879908
Post Re: HH2 voice changes - All talk - Team talk
Except just muting them?

People without mics can only listen in, not communicate. The text-to-speech is pretty horrid and not really an option, especially as that forces you to tab out of the game.


Last edited by Tinkerer on Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:46 pm
Profile E-mail
HH Donor
HH Donor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:08 am
Posts: 6095
STEAM_0:0:16743808
MCID: frog
Post Re: HH2 voice changes - All talk - Team talk
Tinkerer wrote:
I don't think the lowering server populations have anything to do with alltalk on or not, just general less interest in TF2. HH had full servers with alltalk on and off for years. Plus, if the majority of the people like something and have it voted on, what's the problem? There's a crits vote on the server too, which isn't necessarily compatible with serious play, either. And yet that sometimes doesn't turn crits off either because there's enough people who like crits and they can have an enjoyable time on the server right then and there. Voting accomodates the people actually playing, and if the balance shifts the next map will change it. Not sure what the problem with that is :?
I think that you are only considering what you want, and what you think other people want. However, the broader picture says otherwise.

Also please consider my previous post.


Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:46 pm
Profile E-mail
HH Donor
HH Donor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:08 am
Posts: 6095
STEAM_0:0:16743808
MCID: frog
Post Re: HH2 voice changes - All talk - Team talk
Tinkerer wrote:
EDIT: The main problem with having mumble for this sort of thing is that it doesn't accommodate shy people or people without mics.
If a shy person without a mic can join a TF2 server, then a shy person without a mic can join a mumble server. Mumble can accommodate anyone.

I think that you've made a straw-man argument.

Please consider this post


Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.