phpBB Forum

It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:56 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
HH2 voice changes - All talk - Team talk 
HH Member
HH Member

STEAM_0:0:16879908
Post Re: HH2 voice changes - All talk - Team talk
Doesn't that tell you something, then? People have to actively set their preference to all-talk or not (although lately I saw some votes go through for no all-talk, too). I sincerely doubt that there's some kind of mass exodus based on all-talk on or not, I just notice that people who used to socially talk don't any more and those who used to teamtalk still do so, which is a net loss in my opinion.

But hey, if you guys can make a social Mumble work and actually get people from the server installing that and getting in there, then go for it. Good luck.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:47 pm
Profile E-mail
HH Donor
HH Donor

STEAM_0:0:14464950
MCID: Paulmega
I think turning alltalk on or off quite changes the idea of the server:

Alltalk on means a social, unserious and joyful server. Friendly chatter all over and generally a friendly environment. However, teamwork is more rare and people get distracted from playing the gamemode / playing the gamemode as a team.

Alltalk off means a more serious environment. People work together on teams, communicating via voice, etc. I liked alltalk off the last time because I could instantly tell people where I put my teleporters without attracting 300 BLU spies. Also people can warn others for spies / snipers / etc without the enemy team knowing they've been spotted. If you have to type this out, you might lose some valuable time.

Personally, I'm cool with both options.

PS: that plugin this thread started with, I did not get a chance to test it out yet. It seemed a great solution for this problem, why was it disabled?

Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:53 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
HH Donor
HH Donor

STEAM_0:1:14985898
MCID: Agentino
I share my opinion with Tinker. I understand that there are problems with the automatic voting thing that we used to have as it would sometimes result in people voting differently to what they wanted. But overall, if it's what the majority wanted, why make the game less enjoyable for others? I'd think that most of the people who want all-talk to be on would be some of our most active regulars who know the frequenters on the server and like to be more social overall.

HH Cup Season 1 Champion
HH Cup Season 2 Champion
HH Cup Season 3 Loser

Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:54 pm
Profile E-mail
HH Donor
HH Donor

STEAM_0:0:15279954
It was disabled because people that cant stand witty banter still had to put up with it, and it didnt work for people who mute all comms via their config.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:56 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
HH Member
HH Member

STEAM_0:0:16879908
Look, I get the benefits of not having all-talk and having tighter team coordination, but I do think HH2 might not be the right server for it. My suggestion would be to leave HH2 as it is (or at least back how it was a month ago), and convert the ghost town of HH1 into a normal (quickplay available) TF2 server with a good bunch of maps, all-talk off, and maybe some cool settings like stopwatch for pl and a/d. I'd be happy to join a server like that and fill it up, and that wouldn't suddenly change things for people who liked the settings as they used to be on HH2. Wouldn't that be a decent option?

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:12 pm
Profile E-mail
HH Donor
HH Donor

I dearly wish this were possible, and it might be some day. unfortunately we have enough trouble with getting one server filled, let alone two. just look what happens to hh2 on fightnight and NMN.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:16 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

STEAM_0:1:32107273
I don't like the server with the changes to all talk, I play on HH2 for the banter and fun and I've been playing on HH2 for some time now. Maybe I'm just getting old but I don't like the changes and I don't like the suggested solution of mumble. Mumble is great for serious matches etc but for my evening session of TF2 on HH2 I want to hear pinball saying 'dammit' when I kill him, I enjoy hearing dazed moaning, to tell shifty to 'get stuffed' when he kills me, it's all part of the fun.

I know you're giving solutions around what I see as a new problem but unless all the other regs use the suggested solutions then there's no point.

This makes me a sad (solly)

Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:45 pm
Profile E-mail
HH Donor
HH Donor

Alltalk being off doesn't stop you from chatting with your teammates or from chatting with people on Mumble. If they're not on Mumble, ask them to join. Please at least try.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:19 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

STEAM_0:0:16638080
I'm with Tinker and Suski on this, i much pref all-talk on, all talk has run since i started playing on hh2 which is at least 2 years ago maybe more i think. It keeps the server atmosphere fun, i often call enemy ubers or spies or gloat when i kill my arch enemies :D and there is often some good banter while we play, with many who listen but respond with text either because they don't have a mic or don't choose to use it. I liked the 2 key system idea and the all talk vote, it all depends what you want the server to be i guess. I don't mind playing with all talk off now and then for a serious game but do think the players on the night should decide democratically, maybe force the vote at the start of each map?.

I do mind using mumble, call me lazy for being arsed to set it up maybe, but a lot of the regs i talk too never use the mic and type back so they wont be in mumble in the first place.

The servers been tailing off again recently with numbers only just peaking after a long build up but then quickly dropping off after 9 it simply takes too long to fill and i wont tend to join until its in the high teens anymore because i don't want to waste an hour running around 4v4. I don't blame the tailing off on all talk, speaking for myself (but i'm sure a few others are the same), i am getting a little intolerant of when the teams are one sided and we are forced to play 6 rounds of the same map, people don't force a shuffle, others end up specing, sitting in spawn or going to mess about classes (me as engie) until its over and if the next map is not something you like that's enough to call it a night then because your not having fun. Keeping the time limits but shortening the round limits to best of 3 on 5cp maps and possibly some others will help and at least move the game on to the next map quickly before everyone gets fed up.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:58 pm
Profile E-mail
HH Member
HH Member

STEAM_0:1:26412507
suski wrote:
I don't like the suggested solution of mumble.

Sam wrote:
chatting with people on Mumble. If they're not on Mumble, ask them to join.

One of these people has been playing on HH2 almost every day for years.

The other is waltzing in after barely playing, and changing random things without asking anybody.

Also, even when you take away people's ability to communicate with each other, they still don't want to join your mumble club. Even after constant desperate pleas, and giving them no other option, nobody wants to join. Doesn't that give you some kind of hint?

Can't you just let people have their fun?

Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:00 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next