phpBB Forum

It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:40 pm

I made a video about quickplay + TF2 community servers 
@H|H Reg
@H|H Reg

STEAM_0:1:19187020
Post I made a video about quickplay + TF2 community servers
(I think the youtube tags are broken so here's a plain ol' URL)

Hey HH - just made a video about quickplay, the impact it had on TF2, why community servers are great in the first place and why they're important in bringing people together even after the servers themselves have stopped being active. And probably some other stuff lol. Hope this interests you! :vuvuzela:

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:35 pm
Profile E-mail
HH Donor
HH Donor

STEAM_0:1:14985898
MCID: Agentino
Post Re: I made a video about quickplay + TF2 community servers
Oh wow. Great video. I agree with pretty much everything you said about the advantages of community servers over quickplay ones. I certainly would not have stayed with the game for years and years if I hadn't found this community and made it my home on the internet.

The video made me realize how much I miss those days when we had 2-3 servers full of friends every night and all I needed after a long day was a couple of hours TF2 with people I liked playing with. :cry:

But oh well. As people stopped playing the game one by one, I also started finding little reason to play TF2 over something else. It's just something that happens I guess. But the quickplay system certainly didn't help with bringing more people into the community to replace the ones that left.

HH Cup Season 1 Champion
HH Cup Season 2 Champion
HH Cup Season 3 Loser

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:37 pm
Profile E-mail
@H|H Reg
@H|H Reg

STEAM_0:1:19187020
Glad you liked it! Definitely agree with the 'people leaving but nobody new to replace them' thing, people always came and went but just not having the stream of new players to replace those who did leave was what hurt in the long run.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:56 pm
Profile E-mail
HH Donor
HH Donor

STEAM_0:0:9355639
MCID: Fr3ddi3
100% agree with everything you said, what really resonated with me was your experiences with community because it is/was exactly the same for me. When I first played TF2 i was'nt really sold on it as a game, and left it on the shelf for a long time to play other things. One day by pure chance i happened upon the HH and that was it, i got stuck playing TF2 for the next 4/5 years and grew to love the game purely because i joined the server and everyone on it sang happy birthday to me, even though it wasnt and i'd never seen any of them.

My entire friends list is more or less filled with the colourful people i met on our servers and got to know, knowing that we played on the same server for the same reasons to have a laugh and play the game 'properly', hell our servers was the first place i ever saw people actually playing medic. I got to experience the game the way i believe it was designed to be played and i just never got that anywhere else outside of the communities you spoke of.

It was'nt just the friends and the gamplay for me though, it was the custom maps. We played so many of them and it was great seeing some of them make it into the game official and i was happy to have played even a small part in getting the maps to that stage with play testing.

Quick play imo (among other things), destroyed the heart and soul of the game. Not for me though, but for the people who would have taken my vacated playerspace.

Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:35 pm
Profile E-mail
HH Donor
HH Donor

STEAM_0:1:5416147
This was really nice to come back and see after all this time!

It's certainly rekindled my interest in TF2 for my rebuild... Hope there are some familar names. The early days of TF2 are some of my fondest gaming memories and some friends have permeated into RL... Some i still need to chase up!
Was certainly a nice nostalgia hit and captured the essence of what it was all about.

I hope to be back for an ass-kicking before/ around Xmas :mrgreen:

Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:18 pm
Profile E-mail WWW