phpBB Forum

It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:44 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
'TF2 Vanilla Classic' - A trial vote on HH1 
HH Donor
HH Donor

STEAM_0:1:24518594
Post Re: 'TF2 Vanilla Classic' - A trial vote on HH1
frog wrote:
I see what you are saying, but I think there is more to it and that division is inherit to Quickplay.

"Broadly speaking", I'm sure you're right, but the history of these servers would suggest a slightly different outcome. One that led to fun threads like these:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8034

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8345&sid=3f702942595b7d52340a5d0fcdeeb194

This, and the sentiment that spurred them, was the reason for my earlier post. Maybe/hopefully I'm wrong, but I was concerned that a decline in HH1 activity could be needlessly repeated.

To your point about Überium & THG. They might use Quick Play, but you'll see the same names there night after night, and those folks have been there for a lot longer than Quick Play.

Just to be clear. I'm not criticising anyone, or even playing Devils Advocate. I'm simply stating some concerns. I worry about things. Maybe too much =)

Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:23 am
Profile E-mail
@H|H Reg
@H|H Reg

STEAM_0:1:6032953
BattleTag: Nemko#1878
henchling wrote:
To your point about Überium & THG. They might use Quick Play, but you'll see the same names there night after night, and those folks have been there for a lot longer than Quick Play.

Well, if they use quickplay they have no problem joining 23/24 server (don't know the player cap :) ) and then replacing the quickplay players. Same thing happened @HH2 when it was (a lot of) quickplay active (I once managed to get the server full at 7:30 a.m. ;) ).

My Diablo 3 profile

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:24 am
Profile E-mail
HH Donor
HH Donor

STEAM_0:0:16743808
MCID: frog
henchling wrote:
frog wrote:
I see what you are saying, but I think there is more to it and that division is inherit to Quickplay.

"Broadly speaking", I'm sure you're right, but the history of these servers would suggest a slightly different outcome. One that led to fun threads like these:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8034

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8345&sid=3f702942595b7d52340a5d0fcdeeb194

This, and the sentiment that spurred them, was the reason for my earlier post. Maybe/hopefully I'm wrong, but I was concerned that a decline in HH1 activity could be needlessly repeated.

Just to be clear. I'm not criticising anyone, or even playing Devils Advocate. I'm simply stating some concerns. I worry about things. Maybe too much =)
It's Quickplay that is sustaining the server populations of Überium & THG server, which is why it is enabled. They have both experimented with disabling it and it was detrimental to server population, so it's there to stay. Lots of people have been around since before Quickplay, it's still relevantly new, but it's affect is undeniable. The majority people will join a server that is already busy or populated, so it is no surprise what-so-ever that you are seeing the same names that you know appearing.

HH2 is Quickplay enabled. It's change IP this month and had it reputation score wiped. The only way to fix that is by members of the community joining the server and playing there consistently. This is no silver-bullet quickfix server configuration solution. Humans are required.

HH1 isn't Quickplay. Do you want it to be? Of course not.

Comparing Quickplay-enabled servers to Non-Quickplay server, such as, HH1 is futile.

I share your concern.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:01 am
Profile E-mail
HH Member
HH Member

STEAM_0:0:16253862
henchling wrote:
A similar risk/reward idea is applied to the Übersaw. A Medic can gain 25% on his Über per hit on an enemy, but every other class is so vastly better armed that it's a huge gamble to try. Miss a swing & you're almost certainly dead - and really, those times where you're +75% charged, & able to get a hit to reach/deploy Über & save someone/escape, are some of the best in the game. Not to mention adding a much needed moment of badass-ery to class that is almost entirely devoid of them.

It's still an upgrade. The Bonesaw has as much risk as the Ubersaw but with a potential kill being the only reward thanks to the extra swing speed and the reasoning for using this weapon can be applied to other unlocks for other classes, it's not exactly the only risk/reward unlock.

Both ubers as well as crits are gamechanging so I really can't see the ubersaw as a "Sidegrade" at all, only an upgrade. You're a medic, people are supposed to protect you and you'll probably only use the saw only when you HAVE too. Unlike the Bonesaw, the ubersaw can grant you both an escape and a push.

The ubersaw still need a small rework to make it a viable sidegrade, just as much as The Equalizer and other similar weapons does.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:13 am
Profile E-mail
HH Donor
HH Donor

Sam wrote:
Someone said earlier that the low number of players may be down to people leaving the HH for more stable servers when the lag situation was bad. Maybe we could send out a mass PM/email to everyone on the forums inviting them back, and asking them to hop on to the servers at a specific time for some sort of party or event?
Good idea. If you, or anyone else would like to write or organise something then that would be great. :)

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:24 am
Profile E-mail
HH Donor
HH Donor

Efrath wrote:
It's still an upgrade. The Bonesaw has as much risk as the Ubersaw but with a potential kill being the only reward thanks to the extra swing speed and the reasoning for using this weapon can be applied to other unlocks for other classes, it's not exactly the only risk/reward unlock.
But, in the context of the team-binding role of a medic and this vote, does it really matter?

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:27 am
Profile E-mail
HH Member
HH Member

STEAM_0:0:2201594
I really do feel like an ineffective target in HH1 at the moment when it switches to classic weapons.

So much so I was jumping in and out of HH1 yesterday seeing if it was in classic mode or not.

And it aint no fun trying to be another class to me because instead of being Boris the l33t pyro I'm just Boris a.n.other solly.

add in the 'no crit' mode and it really does feel like you're playing on someone's clan server not a semi-regular pubbie server filled with damn good players

Plus as has been mentioned , the classic vote itself is borked because it seems to check about 5 seconds after map change when only a few players have joined and the majority are still watching the loading screen.....

However, occupying HH2 and spamming out server filler messages to get the community in there could be kinda fun

Boris

<<went on multiplay dustbowl yesterday....ripped the guts out of a disorganised defence in about 4 mins... and it felt like an empty triumph :(

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:20 pm
Profile E-mail
HH Donor
HH Donor

STEAM_0:0:15279954
I can't run any events/play much TF2 till late June sadly. :(

Last edited by Sam on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:25 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
HH Donor
HH Donor

The vote occurs in the same time scale as the Alltalk vote on HH2, which is 45 seconds after the first person has joined. I've just changed this to 60 seconds to see if it helps.

But 45 seconds has been time setting for as long as we have had any type of start of map vote.

I think of the vote as more as for a 2007 vintage pub setting with the usual HH1 no-crits. If the gameplay worked in 2007, then surely it could still work now? when enough people wan t it to, of course. Perhaps the threshold for enabling it would be better suited at 80% or higher.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:41 pm
Profile E-mail
@H|H Reg
@H|H Reg

frog wrote:
The vote occurs in the same time scale as the Alltalk vote on HH2, which is 45 seconds after the first person has joined. I've just changed this to 60 seconds to see if it helps.

Would it be possible to put in the option of having a !voteclassic command, or something along those lines, so that if a given percentage of people type it mid game another classic vote pops up? For people joining mid game it seems unfair that they have no say over a decision made by perhaps 10 out of the 24 peole currently playing.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:00 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next